Foreign Rights in Publishing & Going Against The Grain with Marleen Seegers of 2 Seas Agency
Marleen has a story of proving that doing what you love — passionately, is the best way to go. She’s the ultimate bookworm, listening even to audiobooks underwater.
Her 2 Seas Agency is dealing with Foreign Rights in publishing and is based in California. The agency has recently partnered with a TV production company that turns book scripts into… movies!
Marleen was at the crossroads at choosing a career path, and while her family was directing her towards engineering, by bringing all the practical arguments, she went for her passion: books. And this is when she started proving that she can make it.
The job title she took over sounded great, it had what she loved the most: reading, discussing books and traveling.
Becoming an entrepreneur was teamwork: her — the fiction passionate person and her husband — masculine energy, knowledgeable of marketing and other down-to-earth things.
The whole experience taught her to become proactive, rather than passive and reactive.
She met her husband, Derek, at a book fair, and two years later, she met him again, and they fell in love. She had to make a big change: leave her job, sell her apartment where she used to live with her ex-boyfriend.
Advice for (aspiring) writers:
- For some people, self-publishing is the way to go, but an agent can turn a good idea into a great one
- Show up. Go to book fairs.
Quotes from this episode:
“Femininity is a sense of perseverance, resistance that women have had to develop over the years, centuries, and in the current society that we live in. Female leaders might show up in different ways when faced with difficult decisions in their lives and careers.”
“I’m based in California — a very unusual place for a publishing company like mine. I had to prove that it will work out. I’m now living the life that has a lot of quality and is stimulating for me and my husband.”
Tools & Resources Mentioned
- Down Dog — Great Yoga Anywhere.
- MindBody — Find and book fitness and wellness near you.
- Evernote — Get organized. Work smarter. Remember everything. Organize your work and declutter your life. With Evernote on your desktop and mobile devices, your notes are always with you and always in sync.
- Highrise — Simple CRM for small business that helps you stay organized. Share tasks, notes, deals, email history, and more with our CRM software for small business.
People/Blogs to Follow
- Tim Ferriss — He is an early-stage technology investor/advisor and the author of four #1 New York Times and Wall Street Journal bestsellers, podcast host.
- The Tim Ferriss Show — The #1 business podcast on iTunes. In each episode, he deconstructs world-class performers from eclectic areas (investing, sports, business, art, etc.) to extract the tactics, tools, and routines you can use. This includes favorite books, morning routines, exercise habits, time-management tricks, and much more.
- James Altucher — He is an entrepreneur and angel investor. “I’ve started 20 companies, 17 of which have failed. But I’ve learned a lot along the way”.
- Dan Norris — Serial entrepreneur, 4X best-selling author and international speaker.
- “The Arab of the Future” by Riad Sattouf (5 vol.) — The Arab of the Future, the #1 French best-seller, tells the unforgettable story of Riad Sattouf’s childhood, spent in the shadows of three dictators — Muammar Gaddafi, Hafez al-Assad, and his father.
- “Let’s Explore Diabetes with Owls” by David Sedaris — A guy walks into a bar car and…From here the story could take many turns. When the guy is David Sedaris, the possibilities are endless, but the result is always the same: he will both delight you with twists of humor and intelligence and leave you deeply moved.
- “To the Lighthouse” by Virginia Woolf — In “To the Lighthouse”, Virginia Woolf draws on her childhood experiences to create an autobiographical novel with universal themes; a masterpiece in the tradition of Proust and Joyce.
P.S. Subscribe and listen to more of Girlskill Podcast here
Ready to Upgrade?
I’ve created a free video training on “The Lie of Female Success” and what you can do today to get out of the modern female epidemic. If you follow these steps, your life and your relationships will change very quickly.